Friday 25 April 2014

How To Stick To Your New Year Resolutions

Have you began your new year resolution yet? I started mine yesterday and went for a bike ride. My goal is to become a bit more active this year. Despite the pouring rain and cold wind, I got on my bike and went out for a cycle. I aim to stick to the daily bursts of physical activity, but don't intend to beat myself up if it doesn't work out that way.

See, it can be difficult to keep up with our resolutions, but I believe a lot of that is down to the pressure we put on ourselves, which itself stems from societal expectation. That pressure and expectation can often set us up to fail, sometimes just days into the new year. I've been there and I'm sure you may have been too. We then ask ourselves why we bother to set these resolutions, but end up setting them again come the following new year. There is a way to break the cycle though.

In many situations the difference between achieving and not achieving something is the way we tell ourselves we are going to do it. I have found that the best way to achieve a new year resolution is to say something along the lines of "This year I will..." So for example, this year I will do more physical activities to boost my fitness level. Now try yours... As you tell yourself what you will achieve this year, feel assured that you will achieve that goal at some point during the year.

New year resolutions don't have to be achieved quickly. If you have told yourself that you will do something this year, you actually have 365 days to achieve it. So if your resolution isn't going to plan by the end of January, remember that you have eleven more months to get started and achieve your goal. It's ok to take your time. It's better to take 365 days to achieve your goal than to give up after a week or two because the results you desire have not rapidly materialised.


If you have made new year resolutions, I wish you the best of luck with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment