Wednesday 23 April 2014

What To Expect At Your First Hypnotherapy Session

Attending a first appointment with a therapist can be a daunting experience. Having been in that situation myself in the past I am all too aware of the feelings of worry and apprehension that can come into play when on route to the appointment. Questions such as ‘what if I don’t like them?’, ‘what if they don’t like me?’, ‘what if they don’t understand my issue?’, and ‘what if they judge me?’ can be common at this point. That nervousness can be part of human nature (nerves are not always a bad thing), but the ‘what ifs’ often disappear soon after stepping into the therapy room for the first time. Of course I'm not going to suggest that you simply don’t ask yourself those questions or feel any element of apprehension, but what I aim to do here is explain what happens at the first session so that you know what to expect.

The first session, or so called initial consultation, is an opportunity for client and therapist to discuss the presenting issue. I will ask some questions to gain more of an understanding of your presenting issue and you have a chance to ask any questions you may have about the therapeutic process. As an example, if your presenting issue was that you wanted to quit smoking I would ask questions about how many cigarettes you smoke each day, the reasons why you smoke, and how you might cope with being a non-smoker (handling cravings and fighting the temptation to light up). You may ask questions about the length of time it will take to quit smoking with hypnotherapy or whether you really will become a complete non-smoker.

Once the discussion and questions come to a natural end, the second part of the initial consultation involves hypnosis. I like my clients to experience hypnosis right from the first session so that they can get used to how it feels and gain more of an understanding of the process. There are so many myths and rumours surrounding hypnotherapy and what hypnosis actually is, and I do my best to dispel those from the outset. The hypnosis in the first session involves using a relaxation technique and will include elements of the work that is going to take place in subsequent sessions. So if you wanted to become more confident, once relaxed I would begin to incorporate the fact that you can become more confident into the hypnosis, using the information you have provided as a foundation for that.

Once the hypnosis is complete I would discuss how it felt with you and use that feedback to shape future sessions. Some people feel the hypnosis goes too quickly and others can feel it doesn't go quickly enough. Other elements such as whether an individual is more visual or aural are also taken into account as hypnotherapy can involve suggesting you see, hear, or even smell certain things if appropriate and relevant.

At the end of the first session a future appointment can be made if you feel it has gone well and wish to progress. However there is never an obligation to continue and if you feel hypnotherapy (or the particular therapist) is not for you then it’s ok to say that you would not like to progress. In that eventuality I am always happy to recommend other therapists who may be able to work with you.

Coming back to the ‘what ifs’, I personally believe that no issue is too big, too small, or too embarrassing. This enables me to be completely non-judgemental and empathetic. Just about every other therapist is the same. As professionals we are not here to judge people; our role is to support individuals to make positive and lasting life changes.


The most important thing to me is that a client feels comfortable, so even before the first session takes place I'm happy to talk via telephone or email to answer any questions you have. You can call 07816 181428 or email daniel@daniel-browne.co.uk to have a chat about hypnotherapy, how it works, and how it may help you. I'm always happy to talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment